Skip to content
- Image Description
- Áine Kelly-costello
- Website and social media
- Blog: http://aframeonlife.wordpress.com/
- I'm a blind journalist and campaigner from Aotearoa New Zealand, currently studying towards a Masters in Investigative Journalism in Gothenburg, Sweden.
In Aotearoa, I interned as a reporter with national media outlet Newshub. I also worked as a campaigner for accessibility law, and on two disability-related interview projects. I campaigned, especially for fossil fuel divestment, with climate justice organisation 350 Aotearoa, and have also worked with them on resources for making climate action more accessible.
My writing has appeared in New Zealand and European media and blogs, including Newshub, The Spinoff, The Daily Blog and Netzwerk Recherche.
I am particularly interested in climate action reporting, including the intersections between disability and climate change, along with reporting focusing on authentic disability angles on just about any subject. I have also written about how journalists can create more such disability-related reporting, as well as fostering more inclusive work environments for disabled reporters. I speak English, Spanish, French and some Swedish.
- On being a disabled journalist: https://aframeonlife.wordpress.com/2020/01/12/being-a-disabled-journalist-is-lonely-lets-change-that-together/
On NZ immigration policy: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/03/we-need-fairer-immigration-policy-but-it-won-t-be-easy.html
On Braille: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/01/opinion-in-the-smartphone-era-access-to-braille-keeps-opening-doors.html
On audio-described ballet: https://artsaccess.org.nz/ballet+in+action+through+words
Reflections on journalism, campaigning and climate change: https://aframeonlife.wordpress.com/2019/09/25/beyond-tipping-points-of-hypocrisy-reflections-of-a-climate-campaigner-and-journalist/
Collection of Newshub stories, mainly on disability-related reporting: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GFngQgw8qlhwpBwQCYM7CY4bVqUA9SwF/view?usp=sharing
- Media, Music, Disability Culture, Accessibility, Disability Rights, Disability, Travel
- Source, Personal Essays, Opinion Editorial, Reported Features, Investigative Journalism, Essays, Copyediting, Editing, Radio Appearances, Television Appearances, Podcast Appearances
- Additional Credentials
- Dip. ABRSM (flute, diploma), BMus (Music degree), BA(Hons) (arts degree with Honours), DELE C1 (Spanish advanced proficiency)