Skip to content
- Image Description
- Photo of Dana sitting in her electric wheelchair outside with greenery and flowers in the far background. Dana is wearing a blue blouse with light blue and pink flowers on it and white pants.
- Dana Carpenter
- United States
- Website and social media
- 43 year old caucasian female living a crazy yet beautiful life with SMA. I have been in a wheelchair my whole life, but it hasn't stopped me from accomplishing what I want to. With just the use of my hands, I had to learn how to navigate an independent life of my own. With the help of personal care attendants (PCAs), I left home at 18, graduated college with a BA in Psychology, jumped out of perfectly fine airplane, and have worked various jobs over the past 20 years (nonprofit work, accessible affordable housing, federal stuff, customer service, and for the last several years, in sales development research). I have lived in HUD housing for 15 years, so I'm well versed in it and other disability housing issues. I met my partner online - he lived in California and me in Texas - and after his second trip to visit, he uprooted his life and moved here... that was 13 years ago! No children, but we have our fur-babies, and according to one of my baby nieces, "I'm the best Aunt Dana!" I have an able-bodied twin sister (who is now on hospice care for liver failure) and three younger sisters - and between them, I have 10 nephews and nieces. I love to travel, go to concerts, read, advocate, learn, and have fun. I love anything purple and I'm obsessed with the band the Lumineers!
- Media, Pop Culture, Sciences, Medicine, Books, Film, Television, Poetry, Fiction, Music, Disability Culture, Accessibility, Disability Rights, Criticism, Education, Americans with Disabilities Act, Food, Feminism, Disability, Relationships, Sexuality, Technology, Travel, Lifestyle, Beauty
- Source, Personal Essays, Opinion Editorial, Reported Features, Investigative Journalism, Photojournalism, Enterprise Features, Essays, Criticism, Copyediting, Editing, Sensitivity Reading, Radio Appearances, Television Appearances, Podcast Appearances
- Additional Credentials
- 43 years of life experience 😉