Skip to content
- Image Description
- Alyssa stands next to her fiancé Mike, who has dark hair and a beard and wears a grey suit with a pink tie and brown dress shoes. Alyssa has long brown hair and a floral floor-length dress. They stand in the grass before a row of blue hydrangea bushes, with a grey shingled building in the background.
- Alyssa MacKenzie
- Website and social media
- Instagram: @MakeLemonadeWithLupus
- Alyssa graduated from Boston University with a degree in liberal arts but without a name to call the illness with which she grew. By the time she was diagnosed with SLE, she was already an unofficial advocate for “otherness.” It came naturally to Alyssa, whose sister has autism; as a precocious child she felt it her duty to educate her peers and normalize disability.
Alyssa loves to travel, cook, craft and spend time on her yoga mat. She lives for the days she’s well enough to leave the house, but tries not to wish away the days in between. She really just wants everyone to feel good.
Alyssa has and continues to write for various publications, particularly regarding her own experiences as a woman disabled by chronic illness. She is available as a source as well as for personal essays and opinion editorial.
- Media, Pop Culture, Medicine, Books, Film, Television, Poetry, Art, Music, Politics, Disability Culture, Accessibility, Disability Rights, Criticism, Education, Americans with Disabilities Act, Food, Feminism, Disability, Relationships, Travel, Lifestyle
- Source, Personal Essays, Opinion Editorial, Reported Features, Investigative Journalism, Enterprise Features, Essays, Criticism, Copyediting, Editing, Sensitivity Reading, Radio Appearances, Television Appearances, Podcast Appearances
- Additional Credentials